By: Diana Ross, E-RYT 500, Co-Founder of Breast Cancer Yoga.Twists are valuable for supporting breast cancer recovery and for the repairing of breast tissue. Lateral movements that are inherent with twists encourage the lymph fluid away from the tissues toward lymph nodes which then circulate the fluid to functioning lymph vessels. If the lymph system cannot effectively drain, lymphedema may result. This pose will teach you how to relax your shoulders, lengthen the side body, reduce resistance to deepening the twist and open the hip flexors.
- Opens pectorals and decreases soreness in chest
- Creates an openness to lymph area for increased circulation
- Lengthens side body
- Increases vitality
- Post-surgical benefits of reducing fibrous adhesions and scar tissue
- Improves shoulder flexibility
- Stretches the tensor fascia lata muscle, waist, and spine
- Enhances circulation to the chest and shoulders
- Expands ribs for deeper breathing
- Increases ROM of cervical spine (neck) if head turns to opposite side
- Mild twist in inner core
- Begin seated in STAFF POSE with hands on the earth, a little behind the hips.
- INHALE, both legs to the left with knees bent and right foot/ankle resting inside the arch of the left foot.
- EXHALE, turning to the right as far as possible bringing the right arm back and the left hand forward in front of right knee – stay for 5 full breaths.
- Keep your shoulders soft and down.
- Breath into your lower ribs.
- Allow the collar bone to be wide.
- Relax right hip down so the twist can deepen.
- INHALE, return to center.
- INHALE, both knees to the right with both knees bent and left foot/ankle resting inside the arch of the right foot.
- EXHALE, turning to the left as far as possible bringing left arm back and right hand forward in front of left knee – stay for 5 full breaths.
- INHALE, return to center and back to STAFF POSE.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga