Where do I start? What do I need to know to begin a yoga practice? One day at a time is where you start so not to set yourself up for failure. Start simple and small so a positive tone for each day is encouraged and then re-enforced. Find a reputable yoga teacher that specializes in breast cancer recovery or some great well recommended DVDs.
Now let’s begin:
- Set a specific time each day (preferably mornings) Begin with consistency.
- Brush and floss your teeth, empty your bladder, and begin on an empty stomach
- Find a quiet and well-ventilated space. This space will become your sacred space for healing.
- Dress comfortably; no belts and tight jeans
- Play music that is soothing or maintain silence
- Adjust the lighting to be soft or enjoy the natural sunlight
- Create a room decor as uplifting as possible
- If possible have a mat, blocks and other props for support
- Start small, maybe 5 minutes at first and then gradually add onto your time
- The benefits of relaxing the body while giving time for the mind to consciously rest often induce deep relaxation. The deeper the tensions of mind and body the greater overall detrimental effect on the mind and body. Yoga props will assist in allowing for this relaxation to occur.
Good thoughts produce good reactions and negative thoughts drain the energy right out due to the excess tension. Be open to experience yoga and the positive flow of life energy that comes through the practice.
To experience the benefits of yoga exercises for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross
E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.