In this article, you’ll learn and discover how to make mummy meatloaf. A Healthy Halloween Recipe that your family will love.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Makes: 4 portions
Not Suitable for Freezing
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 ml tomato ketchup
- add 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- put 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 85 g fresh white breadcrumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried small carrot, grated
- 1/2 apple, peeled, cored & grated
- 450 g lean minced beef
- salt & pepper to season
- 150 g pappardelle
- 1 ball mozzarella
- 1 black olive
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4/Fan 160. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion for 6-8 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute then transfer half of the onion to a bowl and leave to cool. in addition, add the ketchup, sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce and orange juice to the saucepan.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the remaining onion and stir, then add the rest of the ingredients and 3 tbsp of the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into an 8” / 20 cm shallow round ovenproof dish. Level the top and bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, pour over the sauce and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is cooking, boil the pasta in boiling water according to the packet instructions. Drain and toss with a little olive oil.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Arrange the pasta over the meatloaf in lines to make a mummy effect. Slice two round slices of mozzarella and place two halved black olives for eyes on top and place within the pasta.
- Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes then brush with some of the sauce. Bake for a further 10 minutes then brush again and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining sauce until boiling and bubble for 1 minute. Serve the meatloaf in slices with the BBQ sauce.