Some essential oils are very dangerous. These oils should not be sold at all, but can still be purchased over the internet or at less reputable shops. Others may be safe in some instances but can be rather dangerous if used in certain circumstances. Before you take on an aromatherapy plan, take the time to understand which oils are safe. Keep in mind that just because something is all natural does not necessarily mean that it is not hazardous to your health.
- Rosemary, common sage, hyssop, and thyme should never be used if you have high blood pressure.
- Sweet fennel, hyssop, sage, and rosemary should be avoided if you have epilepsy.
- Diabetics should not use angelica.
- Those who suffer from hypoglycemia should stay away from geranium
- Sufferers of kidney problems should be cautious if they use juniper, sandalwood, or coriander.
- Expectant mothers should especially avoid juniper, hyssop, clary sage, peppermint, lemon, fennel, lemon verbana, rosemary, and wintergreen.
- Clary sage should not be used while drinking as it will intensify the effects of the alcohol causing it to act like a narcotic.
- Chamomile and marjoram should not be used while driving because they cause drowsiness.
- Some oils can cause allergies, such as citronella, clary sage, ylang-ylang, and verbana oils.
- Oils that are believed to be carcinogens are calamus and sassafras, should be avoided by everyone.
- Methyl salicyalte is the active ingredient in aspirin and sweet birch essential oil. If you use aspirin for medicinal purposes you should avoid it due to the risk of overdose. It should also be kept away from children as it smells sweet and is equally dangerous to them.
While the list above is oils that can be dangerous in certain situations there are other oils that should not be used in aromatherapy at all. These oils can be caustic if inhaled and should be avoided at all costs. This is not a comprehensive list, you should do research on any oil you plan to use before you purchase it.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?