Everyone wants to know the secrets to live longer. How about if I let you in on the 9 best herbs and spices to use that will help extend your longevity. Would you start using them? Why not. They’re easy to use. You can sprinkle them on your meals when you cook and they will make your meals taste delicious.
Research nutritionist for the John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Diane Vizthum, commented on the topic.
“Spices are concentrated sources of antioxidants,” noting their “therapeutic properties”, said Vizthum.
Which herbs and spices do you need to keep in your kitchen. Below are the 5 herbs and spices you need to live longer including the benefits they each carry.
5 Herbs and spices to extend your longevity to live longer
This spice can lower your sugar levels, helping to prevent diabetes, and promote weight loss. Try putting it on oatmeal. Other foods you can put it on are the following
- Add cinnamon to drinks such as smoothies. They taste great on mango, banana smoothies. Cinnamon also tastes great with almond milk or turmeric lattes.
- Add cinnamon to cooked fruit, such as rhubarb and apples. It helps to bring out the flavor.
- Add it when you bake. You can add it to baking items such as cookies, banana bread, and crumbles.
According to Vizthum, turmeric can help prevent brain disease. According to the study participants who use curcumin which is a component of turmeric said they experienced an improvement in memory. Their test scores after testing their memory were higher.
“Scans of their brain indicated showed fewer markers associated with cognitive decline,” said Vizthum. She was very impressed by these results
Use ginger to get rid of nausea
Ginger is a popular spice that has been around for thousands of years. This tropical plant can help soothe upset stomachs, stop diarrhea, and help to reduce or rid nausea.
It tastes great as tea. You can take it as a supplement. Here are some food ideas from BuzzFeed that you can use with ginger.
- Honey Ginger Chicken Tostadas with Pomegranate Lime Salsa. Here’s the recipe.
- Hot chocolate with ginger.
- Carrot Cake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting. Here’s the recipe.
- Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon. Here’s the recipe.
- Creamy Ginger Green Smoothie. Here’s the recipe.
- Chewy Ginger Cookies. Here’s the recipe.
Garlic to improve heart health
This herb is very good for your health because by eating garlic you can protect your heart from changes that can cause heart disease. Here are some food ideas.
- Garlic and Parmesan Pan-Fried Shrimp.
- Artichokes with Roasted Garlic Aioli.
Garlic also tastes great in sauces, soups, and salads.
Cayenne to reduce pain
Cayenne is a type of Capsicum. You can find it in hot chili pepper. It’s used by many cooks to flavor dishes. Many use it to add a little spice taste to their meal. You can find it as a powder or in its whole form as a pepper. It is also used as a herbal supplement.
Capsaicin lessens the number of pain signals that are sent to the brain. By reducing the number of pain signals an individual will experience less pain. It is also known to help people who experience pain caused by joint stiffening and nerve damage.
Tips to extend your longevity and help you live longer
Simmer or Stew foods with spices
Vizthum suggests that individuals should simmer or stew foods with spices to “increase their antioxidant levels”, avoid frying or grilling.