Throughout our lifetime, many or almost all of us will suffer some form of depression at one time or another. Symptoms of depression can range from mild, moderate or severe, and are said to affect at least 300 million people worldwide.
Depression can be caused by loss, stress, fear, or anxiety and affects how we think, feel and respond to our daily activities such as work, sleep, and also relationships. Common symptoms are feelings of low self-esteem, loneliness, sadness, loss of appetite, low libido, fatigue, and moodiness.
Studies show that the signs and symptoms of depression can be treated holistically through medical, therapeutic and alternative interventions. It also suggests that the use of essential oils has a direct and therapeutic effect on the parts of the brain that control stress, fear, and anxiety, and help improve the physical and psychological effects of depression.
Aromatherapy diffuser, when applied wisely, and in conjunction with conventional medicine and clinical intervention, makes for a good all-around approach to help beat the signs and symptoms of depression and enhance overall health and well-being. They can be applied through massages, baths, aromatherapy diffusers and personal care products. You can find a wide range of aromatherapy diffusers from Organic Aromas.
Advertisement – Sponsored Content
One of the most effective ways to apply essential oils around the home or office is by using a nebulizing diffuser. They help purify the air without the use of harsh chemicals that can be found in air fresheners and other products.
A nebulizing diffuser works by breaking down essential oils into smaller particles and allows them to quickly evaporate into the atmosphere. When inhaled, they are carried quickly and safely to the body through the lungs and blood to help elevate the mood and relieve the symptoms of depression.
Essential oils are extracted from the roots, seeds, leaves, or blossoms of aromatic plants through diffusion by steam or mechanical expression.
Here are some of the best essential oils you can use to help fight depression:
1. Wild Orange
A refreshing, energizing and mood-lifting essential oil, it’s said to be great for reducing the feelings of panic, anger, irritation, and nervousness.
This oil is extracted from the fresh, young leaves and twigs of the orange tree. It has a sedative effect on the body by inducing relaxation in the tissues, muscles, nerves and blood vessels. It also helps reduce the feeling of hysteria, shock, fear, or anger.
3. Roman Chamomile is said to be one of the best essential oils to help soothe the mind, promote relaxation and fight stress.
4. Rose oil helps stimulate the nervous system and creates a sense of well-being.
5. Palma Rosa helps reduce nervous tension and anxiety.
6. Marjoram helps to ease feelings of fear, loneliness, grief, anxiety, and rejection.
7. Mandarin is good for lifting the spirits and controlling the emotions.
8. Lemon helps combat negative emotions and stress. It purifies the air, uplifts the mood and boosts the immune system.
9. Basil uplifts the mood and helps fight against fatigue and anxiety.
10. Clary Sage helps fight insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
11. Geranium is a natural sedative. It lifts the spirits, releases negative feelings and significantly eases the symptoms of depression and stress.
12. Wild Ginger is said to help inhibit depression-like behavior and responses.
13. Rosemary is said to be a natural anti=depressant.
14. Frankincense is shown to have a positive effect on pain and depression. It also helps reduce feelings of fear, nervousness, stress, and anxiety.
15. Lavender is proven to significantly reduce sleep disturbances, moodiness and stress.
16. Ylang Ylang is said to improve the blood pressure, heart rate, and breathing. It helps fight depression, elevates the mood and relieves feelings of low self-esteem, anger, negative emotions and even jealousy.
17. Patchouli is proven to help alleviate stress and depression.
18. Sandalwood is believed to be comforting. It eases tension and helps fight internal stress.
19. Bergamot is an anti-depressant. It is very stimulating and helps uplift the mood. It can create feelings of joy, is refreshing and can improve blood circulation.
Different Diffuser Blends to Be Used
Since essential oils have a powerful effect on our mood and emotions, here are some ways you can apply them for maximum benefits:
4 parts ylang-ylang
4 pats clary sage
2 parts basil
3 parts geranium
1 part sandalwood
2 drops bergamot
2 drops lavender
1 drop palmarosa
1 drop rosewood
1 drop sandalwood
1 drop petitgrain
Every day, practical uses:
You can enhance your everyday environment with a few simple applications of essential oils in the home, car, and office.
- Personal Care: Simply add a few drops of essential oils to your favorite lotion or hair care products. Apply a few blends to have refreshing and rejuvenating bath or massage at night to help de-stress and unwind.
- Laundry: Place some essential oil on a cloth in the dryer to help refresh laundry.
- Home Care: Deodorize each room by simply adding a few drops on a cotton ball and put in the vacuum cleaner to improve the air quality.
- Car Freshener: A few drops of your favorite scents on a cotton ball will keep the car fresh.
Depression and its symptoms can have negative effects on our physical and psychological well-being and impact our work and everyday life. Essential oils help enhance our mood and emotions and promote positive feelings of well-being.