Pilates is a physical fitness routine developed by Joseph Pilates and hence the name. It is more of a workout than therapy and if done with proper guidance and awareness, can help improve flexibility, build up strength and develop control and endurance of the body. But, to get the maximum benefit from the pilates routine, there are a few points to keep in mind:
- The first thing is to discard the thought that you need to do a lot of exercises quickly to get results. This is not the right way to do Pilates. It is hard to imagine that you can get a great workout without practicing some high-intensity movements. But pilates is actually a type of routine you need to do methodically and focus on getting perfection instead of focusing on the quantity.
- Do your research. Read and study about the methodologies of pilates if you are planning to take up a pilates routine at your home or else get an instructor or join a pilates class. If you are planning to buy new pilates instruments, make an in-depth analysis of it. You need to make sure the instrument you are planning to buy is suitable for your workout style.
- Ask appropriate questions. Don’t hold back from asking questions. If you have any doubts regarding the pilates routine workout, find a professional and get all your doubts cleared.
- It is really important to keep in mind to always refrain from doing anything that hurts your body. The instructors in the Pilates classes or the ones in the YouTube videos are experts and experienced in doing pilates so don’t push yourself on watching them. Never do anything that requires exertion.
- The most important thing while doing pilates is to maintain the breathing pattern. Every instructor may teach a different breathing pattern but a breathing pattern is a must. That way you’ll have more control and more benefits from your pilates routines. So, Master the breath before moving on to a more advanced routine.
- Pilates is a type of workout and so always wear appropriate clothes for a workout. Make sure your clothing is not too tight or too baggy. Don’t wear any shoes. If you want, you can wear a pair of specialized pilates socks.
- Has your form assessed and corrected from time to time? Once you form a faulty pattern, it is hard to break. In the case of workouts, practice doesn’t make you perfect. It just cements what you are already doing. So from time to time get a private session arranged with an experienced and qualified Pilates instructor.
- You need to acknowledge your fitness level and your age. Find the appropriate video that suits your fitness level. If you’ve never done Pilates before, start right at the beginning with an introduction to Pilates and don’t try to rush in. Take the time to learn the hows and whys of what you are doing.
- Listen to your body. Don’t blindly follow the instructors while doing Pilates. If you feel a particular movement is not working well with you, skip it and ask the instructor for an alternate movement.
- Most important of all, make sure you watch all the safety instructions before beginning your workout. Don’t just assume you know it all already. Grave muscle injuries can be caused if you are negligent or ignorant with the safety instructions.
With these instructions in mind, you are good to go. Make a schedule for pilates and stick to it daily and you are sure to be benefitted by it as Pilates is a kind of work out which works the whole body and not a particular part of it. Thus, keeping you in perfect shape.
This above piece of advice written by Justin can help the readers to about points to keep in mind while taking a pilates routine and you are good to go.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!