As you know as we get older, we begin to produce less melatonin in our bodies. It also doesn’t help that as we begin to age life gets more difficult and we tend to have more responsibilities to deal with on our plate.
I found myself tossing and turning all night long. I couldn’t put my mind to rest and I found myself continuously thinking about what I had to do the next day.
Staring at the clock, sleeping 15 minutes each hour. I would finally fall asleep at 5:30 in the morning and have to wake up at 8:30 in the morning.
In the morning, I was a walking zombie. I couldn’t function. How was I going to work? How could I take care of my home or take care of my family when I didn’t have the energy to function.
First, I tried melatonin and it helped. It made me feel relaxed and I was falling asleep, but after 4 months the effectiveness was wearing off. I found myself back in the same boat. I was having trouble falling asleep again. Every day it became harder and harder again.
So, then I decided to try different over-the-counter products that were natural. I tried tons of different products and spent a fortune. Most of them worked, but the problem was that I was feeling tired the next day from the sleeping product. I was foggy and too tired to function. This defeated the whole purpose.
The reason why I wanted a good sleeping remedy was so I would get a good night’s sleep and function well the next morning so I could feel refreshed and be able to accomplish everything I needed to do the next day.
So, then I went to visit my herbalist. Since I am a health coach, I was determined to find a natural sleeping solution to help me get better sleep. I told him how I was having trouble sleeping and this is what he recommended…
My #1 Tip to Getting a Better Night Sleep
He told me to try potassium and magnesium. The two minerals combined relax the body and you begin to feel sleepy. He recommended a specific brand too. I use the minerals by Advanced Research. it’s called K-MG ( Potassium Magnesium Aspartate Complex at 500mg) by Dr. Hans Nieper.
The supplement was made by a doctor and it has both the potassium and magnesium in each tablet. It works great. For the past five years, I have been taking potassium and magnesium and I sleep great. I tried so many things. Surprisingly, all I needed to get a better sleep was two natural minerals from the planet. Who would have thought it was this simple.
6 Other Tips for Better Sleep
Dr. Teal Pure Epsom Salt Bath
(2) At night when I feel restless, I would use Dr. Teal’s Lavender Pure Epsom Salt. I would pour it in a warm bath, close the lights, and light a lavender candle in my bathroom. My favorite candles are from Bed, Bath & Body Works. They have such unique sent that are hard to find anywhere else. Sometimes I would set relaxing sounds from my iPhone like waterfalls in the background or play some music that relaxes me. Then, I would get in and rest for at least 10 minutes. The lavender would relax me and make me feel ready for bed.
(3) I have also tried chamomile Pure Epsom Salt by Dr. Teal. It made me feel relaxed and ready for bed. However, I found the lavender to be a little more effective. I like to mix the two together. It’s very relaxing and the two smell good together.
(4) Passionflower boosts the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in your brain. This compound lowers brain activity, which may help you relax and sleep better. I tried both the capsules and oral liquid. Both work well. I found the oral liquid to be a little more effective. However, with the oral liquid, you have to be careful because if you take too much you will become too tired and feel the groggy the next day.
Tea to Make You Sleep Better
These are the teas that I have tried that helped me sleep better:
- Chamomile tea. Chamomile is a safe and highly effective natural sleep aid.
- Valerian tea. Results from multiple studies indicate that valerian — a tall, flowering grassland plant — may reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep.
- Passionflower tea. Studies suggest that passionflower works by increasing gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA is a naturally-occurring amino acid that reduces activity in the central nervous system. This results in relaxation, enhanced mood, better sleep, and pain relief.
- Kava Kava tea. Kava is commonly used as an alternative to these sleep medications due to its calming effects. In one study of 24 people, kava was found to reduce stress and insomnia, compared to a placebo
These are the 4 teas I have tried that I found effective. I only use organic tea that’s pure and natural. Make sure to look at the back of the ingredients. If it’s artificial or you can’t pronouns the ingredients then most likely it’s not good for you.
Everyone reacts differently to vitamins and supplements and what works for me may not work for you. However, I found great success using the minerals, plants, and supplements that I mentioned. So I am hoping that maybe they will work for you too.
What’s your #1 Tip To Get a Better Sleep?
What’s your #1 tip for getting better sleep, that’s worked for you personally? It may be sleeping in a certain position, taking a hot bath before bed, reading before bed, etc. – whatever it is,
we’d like to hear it (especially if it’s something unusual).
Your submission will be published in a round-up article intended to give people ideas on things they can try to improve their sleep. We want to hear from you.
Send it to editor@thecompleteherbalguide