The exercises women do during pregnancy are helpful to avoid complications in this period. It has a broad range of benefits for pregnant women keeping them fit and fine during this time. The exercise given at this time is to keep the weight under control and avoid complications like preeclampsia and diabetes. The most important part here is that it helps the women to remain active and also reduce the labor pain.
The exercises are recommended to help a woman produce effective contractions by increasing pelvic diameter. As a result, there are fewer interventions such as forceps or vacuum births. In order to maintain a fit body during pregnancy, the women use birthing ball inflated with air. It is referred to as physiotherapy ball and it is very similar to the gym ball. They are almost like gym balls but these are a bit larger in size. These balls are specially made from anti-burst material in order to make sure that they deflate slowly so that any complications can be avoided.
How Does A Birthing Ball Helps With Pregnancy?
Pregnancy is definitely a hectic period and it becomes uncomfortable to sit and sleep. As the pregnancy progresses, the belly weight increases and it induces back pain. The chairs, couches or any their surface cannot give the right amount of comfort that you will get a birthing ball. The ball will mold to your shape that can not only give you comfort but it will also provide you ample amount of support. It is highly beneficial because:
- The ball assists to maintain a good posture.
- The birthing ball helps to increase the blood flow to the uterus as well as the placenta and also the growing baby.
- It helps to relieve pressure on the spine and also a counter pressure is created to the perineum and the thighs.
- The diameter of the pelvic is increased and this is what encourages the baby to descend in an optimal position.
How is it used in labor?
The pregnant woman is made to do vigorous circles on the ball so that the baby’s head can get on the cervix. The birthing ball can also be used to sit in the early labor or during the pushing stage. The upward curve that is there on the ball is a great support during labor. This curve gives a slight counter-pressure to the swollen vulva during the labor period. This position for a pregnant woman is far more comfortable when compared to the chair.
There are women who prefer the ball during active labor because it is hard to sit on anything that presses. The ball acts like a mobile support for the upper part of the mother’s body especially when she has to kneel and lean forward. This position makes it easier for the mother to rock forward and back during contractions. It is soothing for women to rock side by side and make a gentle circle. This helps and the pregnant woman to remain calm and stay in a position without straining the wrists.
Tips to use it properly
- The most important thing here is that the size of the birthing ball needs to be perfect. The size needs to be perfectly matching with your size and it needs to be inflated according to the directions of the manufacturer.
- There are also accessories available that can be used, and these include a stand and keep the ball from rolling out and from under you.
- The safety measure that needs to be kept in mind for the first time is to make sure that this is backed to a sofa. If you are nervous, then you will need to make sure that there is someone to help you.
- You will need to sit on the sofa and the ball is in front of you. Then slowly you have to ease your lower body as well as one leg holding the ball with your hand.
A birthing ball thus provides you with a wide range of benefit during your pregnancy. So, make sure that you select the right one and only practice the recommended exercises.