Being underweight means, you fall under the normal weight. A number of underweight people are fit and well; they simply have a slender constitution. However, for many people being underweight may mean their bones are not as strong as they could be and a woman’s periods may be irregular, which can affect fertility. It also means they have fewer ‘reserves’ if they fall ill.
Symptoms of lower weight:
- Poor physical stamina
- Low resistance to infection
Causes for being underweight:
- Insufficient caloric intake
- Thinness due to an inadequate caloric intake is a serious condition, especially in young people. Diseases like tuberculosis, respiratory disorders, pneumonia, and circulatory diseases like heart disorders, cerebral hemorrhage, nephritis, typhoid fever, and cancer are quite common among them.
- Not enough nutrition or bad eating habits
- Thinness may be due to inadequate nutrition or excessive bodily activity, or both. Emotional factors or bad eating habits such as skipping meals, small meals, habitual fasting, and inadequate exercise can also cause it.
- Poor digestion, metabolic disturbances, and disorders
- Other factors include inadequate digestion and absorption of food due to a wrong dietary pattern for a particular metabolism, metabolic disturbances such as an overactive thyroid, and hereditary tendencies. Disorders such as chronic dyspepsia, chronic diarrhea, and the presence of intestinal worms, liver disorders, diabetes mellitus, insomnia, constipation, and sexual disorders can also lead to thinness.
Natural Treatments to overcome low weight:
Muskmelon is one of the most effective home remedies for thinness. If the melon cure is properly carried out, a rapid gain in weight can usually be achieved. In this mode of treatment, only muskmelons are taken three times during the day for forty days or more. In the beginning, only three kilograms of melons are taken daily for three days. Then the quantity is increased by one kilogram daily until it is sufficient to appease the hunger. Only the sweet and fresh fruits of the best variety are used in the treatment.
The mango-milk cure is also an ideal treatment for thinness. For this mode of treatment, ripe and sweet mangoes should always be selected. They should be taken thrice a day-morning, afternoon, and evening. Two medium sized mangoes should be taken first and then followed by a glass of milk. Mango is rich in sugar but deficient in protein. On the other hand, milk is rich in protein but deficient in sugar. The deficiency of one is made up by the other. Mango thus combines very well with milk and an exclusive mango-milk diet taken for at least one month, will lead to improvement in health and vigor and gain in weight.
Some nature cure practitioners have advocated an exclusive milk diet for a rapid gain of weight. At the beginning of this mode of treatment, the patient should fast for three days on the warm water and lime juice to cleanse the system. Thereafter, he should have a glass of milk every two hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the first day, a glass every hour and half the next day, and a glass every hour the third day. Then the quantity of milk should be gradually increased to a glass every half an hour from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. if such a quantity can be tolerated comfortably.
Figs are an excellent remedy for increasing weight in the case of thinness. The high percentages of the rapidly assailable sugar in this fruit make it a strengthening and fattening food. Three dried figs soaked in water should be taken twice daily.
Raisins are a good food for those who wish to gain weight. Thirty grams a day may be taken for this purpose.
Nutrients which help to keep the nerves relaxed are of utmost importance as nervousness causes all the muscles to become tense, and the energy which goes into the tensing wastefully uses up a great deal of food. Although all vitamins and minerals are required for relaxation, the most important once are vitamin D and B6, calcium, and magnesium. The richest sources of vitamin D are milk, cod-liver oil, and rays of the sun. Calcium is supplied by milk and yogurt. Magnesium can be obtained from green leafy vegetables such as spinach, parsley, turnip, radish, and beet tops. These vegetables should, preferably, be taken in salad form or should be lightly cooked.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?