Tea tree oil is well known for its antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties, and most of us understand the benefits of using it as part of a beauty routine. You may struggle with everyday hair and scalp issues, such as dandruff, dry hair, or even split ends, and you may be surprised to know this oil could be the solution. This essential oil not only moisturizes but also helps keep the hair and scalp healthy. Here are a few worthwhile tips on how to use this oil as a part of your hair care routine.
Tea Tree Oil Uses
It has been found that tea tree oil induces hair growth. It actually helps in unclogging hair follicles and nourishes your roots. Take few drops of tea tree oil, mix it with any carrier oil and simply massage it into your scalp. You will feel a great refreshing and tingling effect on your scalp. However, you must remember to add carrier oil because tea tree oil for hair growth or otherwise by itself is extremely strong.
Fights Dandruff And Lice
Take a few drops of tea tree oil and mix it with your daily shampoo that you use to wash your hair. Use this shampoo normally and you will see how it helps you get rid of dandruff. This has been used as a great dandruff cure for ages.
Tea tree oil is very good for dry scalp. It moisturizes by nourishing your scalp and your hair really well. It clears all blockages in the pores. Mix it with any carrier oil like jojoba oil and massage gently into your scalp for 10-15 minutes. Leave it on for some time and wash thoroughly.
Fights Bacterial And Viral Infections
The properties and natural ingredients found in tea tree oil can help keep all the viral and bacterial infections at bay. These infections are often the reason behind scalp irritations.
Prevents Hair Fall
We all dread the very thought of thinning hair. Tea tree oil can help a great deal in preventing this nightmare called hair fall. All commercial products do more harm to the hair than good and the result is hair fall. Tea tree oil helps restore all the replenished nutrients from the hair.
Tea Tree Oil in Your Shampoo
The easiest way to use this oil as part of your hair care routine would be to buy an off-the-shelf product that contains it. Those of us who already have it in the home could add a little of this essential oil to our shampoo. This is a good solution if you suffer from damaged hair or itchy scalp.
Tame Your Hair
We have all woken up in the mornings with flyaway strands, and this technique offers a quick and easy solution. You should use a few drops of oil and rub it between your palms first. Once that’s done, it can be applied to the strands that need it. A good way to tame frizz is to use slightly more tea tree oil and work it into the hair starting at the tips and slowly work your way towards the roots. This will work on both curly and straight hair.
There are multiple homemade recipes using tea tree oil to address one of the above issues.
Coconut and tea tree oil solution:
- Combine 10 drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of organic, unrefined coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Mix well until the coconut oil turns is completely liquid, and both the oils blended together.
- Apply the oil mixture to your scalp by massaging it in, concentrating on dry, itchy areas, while avoiding the hair and keeping it on the scalp as much as possible.
- Allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes, but ideally overnight.
- Rinse well and then shampoo as normal, following with a good conditioner.
- Repeat the process at least once per week.
Tea tree, peppermint, and olive oil solution:
This is an extra potent recipe for addressing an itchy scalp, so use it no more than once per week.
- Combine three drops of peppermint oil, three drops of tea tree oil and a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the oils to a cup of very warm, but not scalding water. Mix well.
- Shampoo your hair as you normally would and rinse.
- Now massage the oil mixture into your scalp, allowing it to penetrate for several minutes before rinsing. Be sure to wash all of it out completely to avoid a greasy hair look.
- If you have a hard time getting all of the oil out, use a mild shampoo afterward to get it out completely.
After shower solution:
- Shampoo and condition your hair as you normally would. Afterward, towel dry and comb out your hair.
- Add about 10 drops of tea tree oil to the palm of your hand. Gently rub your hands together to disperse the oil.
- Massage the oil into your scalp, working it all the way to the ends of your hair. If your hair is especially long and thick, you may need a bit more oil. If it’s very short, cut back a bit.
- Leave the oil on and then dry and style your hair as usual.