Tea tree oil is well known for its antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties, and most of us understand the benefits of using it as part of a beauty routine. You may struggle with everyday hair and scalp issues, such as dandruff, dry hair, or even split ends, and you may be surprised to know this oil could be the solution. This essential oil not only moisturizes but also helps keep the hair and scalp healthy.
Here are a few worthwhile tips on how to use this oil as a part of your hair care routine.
The easiest way to use this oil as part of your hair care routine would be to buy an off-the-shelf product that contains it. Those of us who already have it in the home could add a little of this essential oil to our shampoo. This is a good solution if you suffer from dandruff or dry, damaged hair.
- Place six to 10 drops of tea tree essential oil in your favorite 12-ounce bottle of shampoo.
- Use the dropper to place the drops inside the bottle. This makes the shampoo consist of approximately 5 percent tea tree oil.
- Wet your hair. Place a nickel size amount of shampoo in the palm of your hand and use your hands to massage the shampoo into your hair.
- Rinse the soap out of your hair. Apply hair conditioner and massage through the hair and rinse.
Protect Your Scalp with Tea Tree Oil
Those of us who suffer from dandruff know just how embarrassing it can be. The good news is that this essential oil can help protect the scalp and, because of its anti-fungal properties, it can help get rid of dandruff. Experts recommend massaging a little tea tree oil into the scalp before washing the hair as normal. This is one of the most effective ways to treat the scalp, and can also treat dryness and itchiness.
- Identify the area in your scalp where you have a problem. This includes a spot of fungus or dandruff.
- Apply a small amount of tea tree oil onto a cotton ball. Add a small drop of olive oil to the cotton ball.
- Dab the treated cotton ball on the affected area. Rinse the area with warm water and dry. Apply each day until the affected area is clear.
- Dilute the tea tree oil in the shampoo to protect your skin. A 100 percent solution of tea tree oil can cause scalp irritation such as dermatitis, which can make hair follicles swell and cause the hair to fall out.
- Add a base oil, like olive oil, to natural tea tree oil when treating the scalp for infections, such as dandruff. This helps protect the skin from developing a rash or irritation, which can adversely affect hair follicles.