Even though quitting cigarette smoking is tough, many individuals each year choose to quit smoking cigarettes. Ninety percent of all people who smoke admit that it is extremely tough to quit smoking cigarettes. Within hours of quitting cigarette smoking, your body starts to recover from the effects of nicotine and additives.
Your blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature are elevated because of the nicotine in cigarettes. It will take time to return to their healthier levels. Your lung capacity increases and the bronchial tubes relax, making breathing easier. Poisonous carbon monoxide in your blood decreases, allowing the blood to carry more oxygen.
You will start to feel more energetic and you will be able to breathe better. For this reason, you should quit smoking immediately. It is one of the best things you can do for your body. Society is quickly realizing the dangers of smoking both long term and short term. It is no longer the cool thing to do. Most people frown upon smoking. Many people want to quit but they do not know how to quit.
Nicotine gum is one method to use that has helped many people become cigarette-free. You can purchase nicotine gum in your local drugstore and is used as a substitute for cravings that you will get for cigarettes when you stop smoking. You can pop in a piece of nicotine gum when you feel the urge for a cigarette.
How to use nicotine gum:
- You chew nicotine gum as a way to help yourself quit using tobacco. The gum contains nicotine and feels and looks like chewing gum. When you chew the gum, the nicotine begins to slowly release into your mouth. Then you hold the gum in your mouth between your cheek and gums.
- Cigarette smoke passes nicotine almost instantly into the blood through the lining of the lungs, and the blood takes it to the brain in a few seconds. The nicotine in the gum takes several minutes to reach the brain. This makes the “hit” less rapid with the gum than with a cigarette. Nicotine gum also delivers much less nicotine to your body than a cigarette would.
- Nicotine gum comes in several flavors and in two strengths: 2mg and 4mg. Start with the 4mg strength if you smoke 25 or more cigarettes a day or if your doctor recommends it.
- Do not chew nicotine gum like normal gum. Follow the tips below to get you on your to becoming smoke-free.
- Use one piece of gum at a time.
- Put a piece of gum into your mouth, and chew it slowly a few times to break it down. Chewing will release a “peppery” taste. Next, park the gum between your gums and cheek, and leave it there.
- Repeat the process of chewing and parking for about 30 minutes, or until there is no more peppery taste released by chewing. The gum is used up at that point. The nicotine from the gum makes its way into your system through the blood vessels that line your mouth.
- Follow the written instructions that come with the gum for how many pieces you can use per day. Most people use 10 to 15 pieces a day.
- Consider using the other materials provided with the nicotine gum. These can help you change your smoking behavior.
MORE: Smoke Guru Website
As the urge to smoke decreases, use fewer pieces of gum each day. When you are using only one or 2 pieces a day, stop using the gum completely. However, you may want to keep some nicotine gum with you in case you find yourself in a potential relapse situation.
Some people stop smoking cold turkey. This means that they just give up the cigarettes and do not look back. They do not taper off smoking or set a date. They just decide they want to quit and do so. Cold turkey is the most difficult way to stop smoking. The slang term is used because when someone quit heroin (of which cigarette smoking is more addictive), they got bumps on their flesh that resembled that of a turkey.
Whatever the actual origin, quitting smoking cold turkey is probably the most popular, while not necessarily the most successful, a method for quitting. It may also be the most challenging due to the severity of withdrawal symptoms the new ex-smoker faces.
You can improve your chances for permanently quitting with the cold turkey method if you combine it with another method such as nicotine gum. Quitting cold turkey does not mean stopping without support or other methods. It means quitting using any whatever it takes to stop for good. If you have wanted to stop smoking but did not think that you could, you should try nicotine gum.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!