What is a tonic?
It’s a ‘medicinal substance taken to give a feeling of vigor or well-being.’ (source)
- 2 cups coconut water or filtered water
- 2 tbsp grated fresh turmeric (or 1/2 to 1 tsp dried turmeric powder)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- juice of 1 lemon or orange
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tbsp raw honey or real maple syrup
- pinch of black pepper
- Optional: a pinch of cayenne or cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Drink as is or strain before serving.
Tip: You should drink this and while eating a meal that includes healthy fats. These are great healthy fats to include in your meals…
- Plus other nuts, like almonds and pistachios
- Nut and seed butter
- Olive oil
- Ground flaxseed
The active ingredient in turmeric is fat soluble and requires some fat to be properly assimilated into the body. The pepper in this drink helps with absorption. Black pepper contains the ingredient called Piperine, which a bioavailability (absorption) enhancer that allows substances to remain in cells for longer periods of time. One study showed that adding pepper increases the bioavailability of turmeric by 2000%.