There is nothing better than a latte in the morning. It’s warm, tastes great and has that signature foam on the top that gives you that little latte mustache. The only problem with traditional lattes is that they’re packed with caffeine, calories, and fat which are unhealthy for you. Matcha green tea latte is a healthy alternative to getting your mornings started. Coffee gives you a jolt and then totally leaves you in a lurch an hour or so later. A matcha is a much better choice for a 4-6 hour lift, that would abandon you as quickly as the fickle friend coffee. After all, tea is the new coffee.
- 1 1/2 tsp. green tea (matcha) powder
- 1 Tbsp. hot water (not boiling water)
- 1 cup milk (cow’s, almond, soy, etc)
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
- Put green tea powder into the cup.
- Add hot (not boiling) water and whisk vigorously until powder is all dissolved. This prevents the tea having lumps in it so do not skip. The green tea paste should be smooth and foamy.
- Add sweet milk, you can do this by heating the milk in the microwave for 2 minutes if it’s still cold then put it in for another 30 seconds then add sugar and stir. Alternatively, you can add milk and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat the milk over medium heat until small bubbles start to appear around the edge of the saucepan. Do not bring the milk to full boil. Turn off the heat. (Or use cold milk for iced latte)
- Froth the milk until foamy, about 10 seconds with a frothier. If you don’t have a frothier, you can skip.
- Add the hot milk and foam in the cup and dust the green tea powder on the top. (Add ice for an extra cold iced latte).