In this article, you’ll learn and discover home remedies and exercises for vertigo (Treatment Tips).
Vertigo is a symptomatic disorder that occurs because of inner ear problems or issues with the brain. The inner ear can get affected by an infection, injury, or any other cause, and hence, result in vertigo.
Inner Ear Issues that Cause Vertigo
Some of the common inner ear problems that can cause vertigo are:
This stand for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, which is a medical condition where calcium crystals known as otoconia irritate the sensory nerve fibers present in the semi-circular canals of the inner ear leading to vertigo. Usually, older people are more prone to this ailment.
This condition occurs when excess fluid builds up in the inner ear that may cause a feeling of the blocked ear or hearing loss along with vertigo.
This is an infection of the ear, usually caused by a viral infection. This infection inflames the inner ear nerves, which are responsible for sending signals to the brain and help the body to maintain its balance through a sense of gravity.
Other Major Causes of Vertigo
Besides this, the other prominent causes of vertigo are:
- A vestibular migraine
- Mal de Débarquement syndrome
- Perilymph Fistula
- Head Injury
- Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence
- Systemic Disorders
- Phobic Postural Vertigo
- Side-effects from some Medications
Vertigo can cause lightheadedness and imbalance or spinning sensation of the head. It can last for a few seconds to minutes, and even hours depending on its underlying cause. Vertigo is not life-threatening, but it can cause extreme discomfort that can affect your daily life activities.
It is vital to get evaluated vertigo or dizziness and then seek a suitable treatment for it. Besides medical treatment, it is possible to combat vertigo discomfort through certain exercises and home remedies.
Also known as Vestibular Rehabilitation Exercises, these are suggested by doctors to help combat vertigo. Such exercises help to rectify the loss of body balance caused by problems of the inner ear by stimulating the central nervous system.
These therapies work by desensitizing the sensory system, enhancing gaze stabilization through repetitive movements. One must perform these vestibular exercises based on the underlying cause of vertigo and after considering other vital factors including weight, back, neck or knee problems, age, and other associated ailments.
Some of the best exercises prescribed to cure vertigo are:
Rapid Eye Movement
- Sit straight.
- Look down and up rapidly for 20 times.
- Look sideways right to left 20 times.
- Don’t move your head while performing eye movements.
- You must sit straight with eyes focused on the thumb with arm stretched out.
- Move the thumb to each side followed with head movement.
- Repeat the exercise 20 times.
- Do this exercise for 5 minutes daily.
Eye Exercise While Walking
- Perform this exercise only when your path is clear of dangerous things or corners.
- Walk down the path.
- Shut your eyes for a few seconds and then open.
- Do it for 5 minutes every day.
Shrugging of Shoulder
- Sit straight on the chair or bed and slowly stand up.
- Repeat this for 20 times.
You must perform this exercise with your eyes open. Once your balancing improves, perform this exercise with closed eyes.
Other exercises to cure vertigo are Semont Maneuver, Brandt-Daroff, and Epley Maneuver. But you must perform this exercise under the supervision of an experienced doctor or trainer.
Home Remedies to Cure Vertigo
- Practice yoga, relaxation, and meditation on a daily basis. This can help reduce vertigo substantially, but at a slow pace.
- Patients experiencing vertigo due to a vestibular migraine or Meniere’s disease must consume high potassium and low salt diet.
- Inappropriate blood sugar levels can also trigger vertigo. If your blood sugar is low quickly grabbed a chocolate or snack with high contents of carbs and sugar to feel stable.
- Individuals suffering from vertigo attacks on a frequent basis must reduce caffeine and alcohol consumption.
- Deficiency of vitamin D can cause dizziness. Consult your doctor to avail vitamin D supplements.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating and sleeping on time.
- Reduce screen time and avoid spending long hours on laptops, computer screen, TV, cells phones, and similar devices.
To know the root cause of your vertigo problem and to get appropriate treatment for the same, you must consult a specialist.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?