Scars usually occur when the dermis (the thick, deep layer of skin) suffers heavy damage. The most basic explanation for this mechanism is that scars are the result of a very aggressive healing process through which the body struggles to prevent other outside elements from entering the system and affecting other areas by rapidly closing the wound.
To aid this process, the body generates a natural protein called collagen, which in turn generates fibrous tissue popularly known as ‘’scar tissue’’ – which is the reason why scars have a slightly different quality and texture than the rest of the skin.
Over time, scars tend to get lighter to the point of becoming almost unnoticeable, but they can still make people feel self-conscious about their appearance. While experts have not come up with a scar removal procedure yet, there are many natural remedies to speed up the recovery process. Here is how to bleach an old scar with home remedies.
Most scar removal remedies are based on exfoliating and boosting the body’s ability to create new, healthy skin cells, and lemon juice is one of the best remedies to speed up this process. Lemon juice, a natural remedy which is highly recommended by various online sources such as HomeRemedyShop, acts like a natural version of a bleaching agent that can significantly reduce redness, encourage the skin to regenerate and make the scar seem less noticeable.
Before applying lemon juice on your scar, make sure to clean the affected area thoroughly. Cut a lemon into small slices and simply squeeze the juice on the scar, and let it dry overnight or for a couple of hours, depending on your personal preference If the lemon juice is too strong for your liking, you can apply a simple workaround – mix it with some blended cucumber and water until it becomes a homogenous paste and rub it on the scar.
If you can’t stand the harshness of lemon juice, coconut oil is a viable and safe alternative that you will surely find more pleasant to adopt. Thanks to its high quantities of antioxidants, as well as a wide variety of vitamins, coconut oil will speed up the healing process, making your scars fade away in a timely fashion.
Moreover, the caprylic, lauric and capric acids that can be found naturally in coconut oil will encourage the body to generate an extra amount of collagen that will heal the affected area and protect it from further damages.
If you want to prepare a treatment based on coconut oil, read through the following instructions:
- Pour some extra virgin coconut oil in a pot and boil it until it turns liquid.
- Pour some of it into your palm and carefully massage the scars for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Leave it there for at least an hour until it is fully absorbed by the skin.
- Make sure to apply this mixture at least twice a day for rapid results.
Aloe Vera is one of the best home treatment for scars thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It will not only rebuild the damaged area by stimulating the skin to produce new cells, but it will also improve the scar’s texture, making it less noticeable. You can find aloe vera in a wide variety of forms, from gels to ointments and lotions. Here is how you can apply this treatment:
- Take the outer skin off and squeeze the gel into a bowl.
- Using the gel, massage the scar in thorough, circular motions for 15 minutes.
- Wait about 30 minutes (or until the skin completely absorbs it), and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this treatment twice per day, and you should see the first results after a week. Make sure to not apply in on open wounds.
Honey is a potent natural moisturizer that, similarly to the previous treatments presented in this article, promotes healthy and rapid skin and tissue regeneration by killing of dead skin cells and making way for new ones.
There are several ways to apply this remedy:
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda, two tablespoons of raw honey and mix them together.
- Massage the affected area for about five minutes.
- Cover the scarred area with a hot towel.
- As soon as the tower cools off, wipe the affected with it until there is no more honey.
The second method is simpler, and it involves applying honey on the scar and covering it with a bandage overnight. Lastly, consider mixing the honey with crystalized sugar and rubbing the scar with the mixture for several minutes. After cleaning the scar with lukewarm water, apply a moisturizer. All methods are equally viable, so choose whichever you like the most.
Finally, you should also consider olive oil for scar treatment. Like honey, it is a very effective natural moisturizer thanks to its high amounts of vitamin E, K antioxidants. For an extra degree of effectiveness, use virgin olive oil, because its acidity will eventually make the scars fade away. Here is a brief, easy to follow treatment routine:
- Pour some virgin olive oil into a small cup (about one tablespoon should suffice).
- Rub the scarred area for ten minutes in slow, circular motions.
- After 30 minutes, wipe the olive oil with a clean cloth. Alternatively, if you are not bothered by the smell or the sensation, you can leave it there overnight.
You can always tweak this treatment plan by mixing the virgin olive oil with lavender oil in a small bowl. Take one, at most two, tablespoons of this mixture and follow the same instructions mentioned above.
Scars come in many forms and sizes, and some people might feel a tad self-conscious about them. Sadly, there is no medical procedure that can completely remove them, but there is a wide variety of home remedies that are very effective at treatment and making them look less apparent. Make sure to apply one of these treatments on a regular basis, and the results will not hesitate to appear.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?