Now doesn’t this look like a great pose to release tension in your hips? Oh yeah! Reclined Butterfly is a yoga pose that I recommend to all my students to do either before getting out of bed and when going to bed. You can tuck your comforter under your knees or prop your feet up for comfort. Once comfortable bring your arms overhead, close your eyes, and connect to your breath. It should be wide open and free. The external rotation for the hips is healthy and extension in the arms and shoulders are too. The photo was taken at A Jewel in the Lotus, Islip, NY. http://www.ajewelinthelotus.com
- Big hip opener
- Promotes external rotation of hips and extension of shoulders and arms
- Stretches pectoral muscles
- Promotes deep abdominal breathing – Relaxes diaphragm
- Supports relaxation – Relieves anxiety and depression
- Lower stress hormone output
- Anti-stress benefits for lowered blood pressure & decreased heart rate
- Enhances well-being and rest
- Supports lower back and eases muscle spasms
- Using props create a sense of security and protection
Yoga Exercise Instructions
- Begin on your back. Place a pillow under the head especially if the chin is lifted.
- Have a bolster or padded prop to support legs (knees) in Partial Recline (knees bent).
- EXHALE, lower knees out to side slowly onto the bolsters with feet touching.
- The lower lumbar spine should feel comfortable. If not comfortable raise your knees up higher until a release is felt.
- INHALE arms overhead with palms facing up or hands touching.
- Bring awareness to the breath and release it into the pose. Stay for 5 minutes.
To experience the benefits of yoga exercises for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.