What can I say? Just resting your feet up while you dangle down is bliss. Let yourself go. Oh Yeah! This can be so relaxing and releasing for tight shoulders or coming out of a backbend. We underestimate sitting in a chair and hanging down.
- Broadens side body/obliques/quadratus lumborum
- Assists in lengthening the spine and opening shoulder rhomboids
- Rejuvenates and relaxes the lower spinal muscles
- Relieves neck and lower back pain when the head and torso supported
- Encourages relaxation through stretching
- Reduces excessive kyphosis in the upper thoracic back
- Stretches chest and axillae, and gluteals independently
- Draws the breath to the back body creating space in the lungs
- Brings blood to the head, pelvis and broadens sacrum
- Slows heart rate
- Facilitates an immediate relaxation response
- Begin seated on edge of the stable chair so pelvis tilts forward with legs extended, place large bolster in underneath feet.
- INHALE, lift and lengthen spine upwards.
- EXHALE, come forward and drape your body over thighs. Let your arms dangle down.
- Stay in the pose and enjoy the breath coming to the back body. When settled into the pose continue to release the spine and open shoulders out to the side
- Rest and enjoy the deep opening of the back body
To experience the benefits of yoga, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.