Use Lemon Peel to promote natural good health. Its high nutritive content (especially ascorbic acid) helps to build the body’s immune system and ward off infection, and its digestive qualities help to ease indigestion, colic, and nausea. Lemon Peel may also halt vomiting.
Lemon Peel is the ripened rind of Lemons, which grow on tender trees that thrive in rich, well-drained soil in full sun with ample moisture during the growing season.
Lemons are native to northern India, and are also cultivated in the West Indies, the Mediterranean region, and other tropical countries throughout the world, but do not transplant well. The trees may grow to a height of twenty-two feet with green leaves and flowers that produce yellow fruits that are very sour.
The name Lemon is derived from the Arabic, limun or limu, which, in turn, comes from the Sanskrit, nimbuka, a term that covers several types of citrus. The trees reached Europe by way of Persia (or Media) and were first grown in Greece, and then Italy in the second century.
There is a great deal of current research being conducted lately with respect to Lemon Peel and its powerful constituent, d-limonene, a cyclic monoterpene that causes G1 cell cycle arrest, but thus far, no conclusions have been drawn, and further research is needed. (You may wish to check out the Memorial Sloan-Kettering site for further information about d-limonene.)
Lemon has been an important ingredient in herbal medicines, as well as candies, baked goods, drinks, and preserves, with the peels used in aromatherapy and potpourris for their strong fragrance. Some of the constituents in Lemon Peel include volatile oils, flavonoids, coumarins, hesperidin (a bitter, crystalline glucoside), a high content of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), protein, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and vitamins A.
Improves Bone Health
Lemon peels help in improving bone health. It contains a high amount of calcium and vitamin C, which helps in maintaining and improving the health of bones. Lemon peel also helps in preventing bone-related diseases likes osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory polyarthritis.
Treats Oxidative Stress
They help in reducing oxidative stress. Lemon peels have high amounts of citrus bioflavonoids, which are a very powerful source for the reduction of Oxidative stress from your body.
There are toxic elements present in our body which not only make us weak from within but also increase the addiction to hard drinks and other harmful eatables. Lemon peels, because of its citrus bioflavonoids content, help in eradicating these toxic elements present in our body.
Hardly people know, but Lemon peels are also used in the prevention and treatment of cancer. It contains salvestrol Q40 and limonene, which help in fighting the cancerous cells present in the body.
These are also helpful in decreasing the cholesterol levels in the body which results in maintaining good health of our hearts. This is due to the presence of polyphenol flavonoids in lemon peels.
Prevents Heart-Related Conditions:
The presence of potassium in lemon peels help in maintaining the right blood pressure in our body. And in addition to this, lemon peels also help in the prevention of heart diseases, heart attacks, and diabetes.
Maintains Oral Health & Hygiene:
Lemon peels are also great for oral health and hygiene. Vitamin C deficiency results in teeth related problems like bleeding gums, scurvy and gingivitis. Lemon peels are rich in citric acid which helps in covering up for the deficiency of vitamin C and helps in fighting these known teeth and gum related problems.
Promotes Weight Loss:
Lemon peels help in the promotion of weight loss. They contain a component known as Pectin, which is responsible for the promotion of weight loss in the body.
Fight Skin Related Conditions:
Lemon peels help in preventing and fighting skin problems such as wrinkles, acne, pigmentation and dark spots. The free radicals play a very important role in this process. These are also rich in antioxidants which tend to detoxify the skin to a very great extent.
Other Health Benefits:
- There are also other health benefits of lemon peels like – cleansing the liver, strengthening capillaries, curing ear infections, improving blood circulation, reducing muscle contractions, prevention of strokes, etc.
- Lemon Peel is considered a digestive. It contains a bitter principle that is effective in stimulating the digestive tract and promoting good digestion, and it has long been used to calm an upset stomach, ease colic and indigestion, and also stop vomiting.
- Lemon Peel is highly nutritional and loaded with important minerals and vitamins (especially ascorbic acid/vitamin C) that are beneficial in cases of vitamin deficiency, such as scurvy, etc., as well as helping to build immunity against infection. Moreover, Lemon Peel is said to reduce the permeability of blood vessels, which may be helpful in relieving the discomforts of phlebitis. Reducing permeability of blood vessels may also increase the body’s resistance to invasive infection and disease.
- As a diuretic, Lemon Peel is thought to help promote urine flow and work to cool the body.
- Lemon Peel is thought to improve peripheral circulation that helps to stimulate blood flow to the hands and feet, which can be of great relief to older people with poor circulation.
- When used topically, Lemon Peel is thought to help stop bleeding gums after vigorous brushing too.