Want to indulge in chicken Parmesan while still skimping on the calories and fat? Yes, please! Skinnytaste’s take on chicken parm is crispy baked chicken breast smothered with a layer of marinara sauce and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese. Oh, and butter is still involved where it really counts. Get started on this kid-friendly dish your whole family will love.
- Cooking spray or oil mister
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 ounces each), fat trimmed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs, homemade or store-bought
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce homemade or store-bought
- 9 tablespoons part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with oil.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 6 cutlets.
- Season both sides with salt.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and olive oil.
- Brush the butter and oil on both sides of the chicken, dredge the chicken in the bread crumb mixture, and put the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly spray oil on top of the chicken.
- Bake until golden on the bottom, about 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and bake until the center is cooked through and the bottom is golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep covered skillet, cook the marinara sauce over medium heat until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the baked chicken in the skillet and top each piece with 11⁄2 tablespoons of the mozzarella.
- Cover the pan and cook until the cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1/2 chicken breast Per serving: Calories: 163; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 27mg; Sodium: 751mg; Total Carbohydrate: 11g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 5g; Protein: 11g Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 67mg; Vitamin A: 9%; Vitamin C: 3%; Calcium: 9%; Iron: 4%
MyFitnessPal’s Recipes are simple dishes that showcase just how delicious healthy foods can be.