In this article, you’ll learn and discover how to use essential oils to use for Dandruff.
What is Dandruff?
Dandruff is a condition of the scalp that causes flakes of skin to appear. Dandruff is a common condition, but it can be embarrassing and difficult to treat. It is not related to hygiene, but washing and brushing the hair can help remove old skin flakes
Causes of Dandruff
- Yeast and fungus
- Not washing your scalp and hair well
- Over washing your scalp
- Excess oily/dry scalp
- Skin inflammatory conditions like eczema and psoriasis
- Poor diet + lack of hydration
- Environmental factors
- Reaction to hair products
Using essential oils for dandruff is one of the best home remedies to treat, soothe & calm an itchy scalp as well as get rid of dandruff once and for all. However, in addition to using these essential oils, also try following these effective tips:
- Wash your hair at least every other day.
- Drink enough water.
- Eat organic & avoid processed pesticide-treated foods. If your dandruff is caused by yeast, try avoiding bread and other foods containing yeast and see how it goes.
- Use natural shampoos.
- Scan your diet to pinpoint any allergens if you have eczema/psoriasis.
Essential Oils for Dandruff
Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff
The tea tree essential oil contains powerful antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that kill bacteria, yeast, and germs that accumulate on the scalp and cause dandruff. It provides a soothing and cooling sensation when applied to an itchy & inflamed scalp caused by dandruff. Although tea tree essential oil can be used neat on the skin, some people especially those with sensitive skin can experience burning sensations. Therefore, please ensure to mix it with a carrier oil like jojoba, coconut, or olive oil to stay on the safe side.
Lavender Oil for Dandruff
This essential oil contains powerful anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that keep away fungus that causes dandruff as well as soothe redness and itchiness on the scalp. Its regenerative properties help promote a healthy and germ-free scalp. “Lavender oil can help scalp conditions,” says Francesca Fusco, M.D., a New York City-based dermatologist.
To make Dr. Fusco’s gentle dandruff remedy:
- Wet hair with warm water and towel dry.
- Next, grab a mug and mix 15 drops of lavender essential oil in 2 tablespoons olive or almond oil.
- Microwave for about 10 seconds or until it feels warm.
- Massage the oil into your scalp, pop on a shower cap, let it sit for an hour, then shampoo out.
It may take several treatments to see the benefits.
Thyme Oil for Dandruff
Containing strong anti-fungal & antiseptic properties, thyme essential oil staves off any germs & fungi that cause dandruff and scalp infections. Thyme essential oil also invigorates the scalp thereby stimulating circulation in the scalp, which helps keep the scalp healthy and dandruff-free.
Peppermint Oil for Dandruff
Providing a soothing and cooling sensation, peppermint essential oil is especially great for treating dandruff. It will help calm an itchy and red scalp, as well as help, eliminate flakiness.