Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins Total Time: 40 mins
- 12 ounce(s) sausage, Italian turkey, hot, links, removed from casings
- 2 teaspoon oil, canola
- 1 large onion(s), diced
- 4 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 4 cup(s) tomato(es), chopped
- 4 cup(s) broth, chicken, less sodium
- 2 1/2 cup(s) okra, cut, frozen, chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) rice, brown, instant
- 1 bunch(es) scallion(s) (green onions), trimmed and sliced, (optional)
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl lined with paper towels.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables, until the flour browns, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to release their juices, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Return the sausage to the pan, along with okra and rice; reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the okra is heated through and the rice is tender, bout 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with sliced scallions, if using.