Two Tender pieces of beef slow-cooked in a rich tomato base enhanced with whole cloves and spiked with crushed red chili peppers. Serve over rice or with lots of crusty bread to soak up the sauce. Even better the next day.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds onions, chopped
- two green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 4 dried whole red chili peppers, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Use 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Put 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- Add 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large oven-safe pan, brown stew meat in vegetable oil over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes. Add onion and green bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, chili peppers, bay leaves, cloves, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and paprika; mix well. Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender. Remove bay leaf prior to serving. Serve hot.