Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common type of male sexual dysfunction characterized by the inability to develop or maintain an erection of the penis during sexual activity. According to a study, more than 18 million men in the US over 20 are affected by erectile dysfunction. Factors such as age, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, lack of physical activity and hypertension are chiefly attributed to ED
Other factors include:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease – a development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Tobacco use
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Treatments for prostate cancer or an enlarged prostate
- Certain prescription medications
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
- Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
Here are some ayurvedic natural remedies for ed (erectile dysfunction).
Vajikarana (Aphrodisiacs) is one among the 8 branches of Ayurveda, specifically focused on improving sexual function and treating infertility. According to the Charak Samhita, Vajikarana therapy increases the time span of erections and energizes the reproductive tissues that help increase semen count, strengthen sperm motility and reduce sperm defects.
Vajikarana therapy involves shodhana (body cleansing) through vamana (emesis),virechana (purgation) and swedana (sweating). Once the Shodhana therapy is completed based on the individual’s imbalance, a few herbal and herbo-mineral combinations are administered.
Consumption of satavari, madhuka, meda, payasya, jivanti, vidari, kantakari, goksura, ksirika, black gram, wheat, sali and sastika rice, dates and figs mixed with milk, ghee and honey are recommended.
The other forms of this therapy involve massaging with medicated herbal oils and herbal baths, anointing the body with fragrant herbal pastes and listening to music. Vajikaranatherapy, in addition to sexual function, is said to revitalize all the seven dhatus (body elements), which helps maintain equilibrium and health.
Herbal Remedies for ED
Here are some herbal remedies for ed (erectile dysfunction).
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera)
Ashwagandha is androgenic and is widely claimed to be a potent aphrodisiac. It also contains sedative, rejuvenating and life-prolonging properties. It has been shown to increase the size and weight of testicles including the seminiferous tubules in which the sperm is synthesized. In addition to increase sperm production, it also increases the levels of the luteinizing hormone which is responsible for testosterone production in the Leydig cells. It has very encouraging results on the male sexual system as it facilitates quicker and longer lasting erections .
Gokshura (Tribulus Terrestris)
Gokshura is a potent herb traditionally used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, infertility, impotence and low sex drive. The herb is believed to improve sperm count and quality, increase libido and reduce the lack of desire for sex. Some researchers have proposed that protodioscin extracted from the plant Tribulus Terrestris improves erectile function via increasing DHEA levels . There are a few double-blind placebo-controlled studies that have found Gokshura consumption to be beneficial for ED . However conclusive clinical evidence to support these claims is limited (especially considering the fact that ED depends on both physiological and psychological factors).
Some Do’s and Dont’s
- Avoid consuming alcohol, tobacco, and drugs.
- Practice Yoga and meditation regularly to keep away anxiety, depression, and stress.
- Exercise regularly and daily.
- Reduce weight; weight reduction helps increase testosterone levels, sexual energy, and stamina.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Consume herbal preparations to rejuvenate the reproductive organs.
- Massage the body with herbal oils – this gives relief from physical exertion and also acts as an aphrodisiac.
- Avoid excessively hot, spicy and bitter foods.