Every year in the United States, around one million people have to be hospitalized after contracting pneumonia. After all, it’s a harsh infection of the lungs that can be caused by bacteria, a virus, or a fungus. So contracting it is no joke. Those who do get it will probably experience coughing, fevers, breathing difficulties, a lack of appetite, nausea, and even confusion.
The CDC notes that many of these experiences could be countered with vaccines, antibiotics, and antivirals, but it’s not unreasonable to worry about what you put into your body. So, here are the most natural and helpful ways possible to treat pneumonia.
Talk to your doctor about penicillin.
While penicillin is an antibiotic, it comes from Penicillium, a growing mold that lives naturally within our environment. So, how did it become a pharmaceutical treatment? Over time, scientists learned that they could produce penicillin by fermenting the mold and separating the penicillin molecule that comes from it. Consequently, we now have a very effective, natural treatment against illnesses like pneumonia.
You might be able to get a prescription for this treatment when you speak with your doctor. Just make sure to bring up your health concerns and symptoms. If they seem indicative of bacterial pneumonia, your doctor will likely fill out a prescription for penicillin V as treatment.
If that seems a bit costly, don’t worry. While American prescription prices are quite high, you can have cheaper international or Canadian online pharmacies shipped to you from pharmacy referral websites like Canada Drugs Warehouse.
Apply some at-home remedies to reduce your symptoms.
Outside of natural medication, you can help minimize the severity of your pneumonia through several simple home remedies:
- Drink liquids frequently to help your body loosen any discharge and cough up phlegm.
- Encourage your lungs to loosen up and stay open through the use of warm beverages, baths, and a humidifier.
- Avoid smoke and smoking to allow your lungs to rest and recover from pneumonia.
Enhance your diet.
Another all-natural home remedy you’ll want to consider is simply changing your diet. While you might be used to eating certain foods, sometimes a diet change can help your body’s immune system fight off infections and illnesses. It can be especially handy if you include the following in your diet:
- Herbal tea that includes peppermint and eucalyptus — Drinking tea with these two herbs may not only soothe your sore throat, but they may also break up any mucus you have while also reducing your pain and inflammation.
- Caffeine — If you’re already a coffee or black tea lover, you won’t need to worry about taking this out of your diet. Instead, enjoy a cup or two to open up your lungs’ airways.
- Inflammation-fighting foods — For example, these can include tomatoes, olive oil, green leafy vegetables, nuts, fatty fish, and fresh fruits like strawberries and blueberries. These foods will help reduce any inflammation caused by your pneumonia.
Get proper rest.
Lastly, don’t forget to give your body the sleep it needs and deserves. Your body can’t fight off an illness like pneumonia if you’re exhausting it and using up your energy elsewhere. So get into some comfy pajamas, and rest soundly at home in your bed for as much as you can. Over time, with enough rest and other natural pneumonia treatments, your body will start to feel happy and healthy once more.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?