Because they are the last teeth to come in, wisdom teeth are sometimes problematic and can cause pain and other symptoms. Often, these teeth need to be removed to protect the health of the individual’s smile and stop the discomfort. Those who are dealing with wisdom tooth pain need to know about some home remedies that can help.
Common Causes of Wisdom Tooth Issues
Wisdom teeth typically do not erupt until a person’s teens or early twenties. It is important individuals know about the common reasons for problems and when they need to see the dentist for Wisdom Tooth Extraction. The following offers information on some of the top reasons a person can be bothered by their wisdom teeth.
- Sometimes, wisdom teeth do not have room to erupt through the gum tissue. They become impacted. Impacted wisdom teeth can be painful and may damage surrounding teeth.
- Because wisdom teeth are at the very back of the mouth, they are difficult to clean. Cavities are common in these teeth, and that can lead to serious pain.
- Infections can also occur in wisdom teeth. Abscesses can develop, leading to fevers, chills, jaw swelling, and pain.
If an individual is dealing with any of the above, they need to see their dentist right away. Waiting too long to seek dental care will only lead to increased complications and pain. Seeing a dentist promptly can alleviate the discomfort and protect a person’s smile.
6 Home Remedies for Wisdom Tooth Pain
When wisdom tooth pain begins to strike, getting to the dentist right away is essential. While waiting for the appointment, there are some home remedies that can bring welcome relief. Consider the following at-home treatment options.
- Saltwater rinses are beneficial for treating oral infections and helping with swelling and inflammation. It is important to spit the water out after swishing. Swallowing saltwater could cause a person to become ill.
- Clove oil is an old remedy for tooth pain, and it works. Clove oil can be used on the affected tooth to bring about relief of pain and swelling.
- Peppermint oil can also be used for wisdom tooth pain relief. Putting a few drops on the affected tooth can help to numb the area and relieve the discomfort.
- Peanut butter is also helpful in relieving wisdom tooth pain. Peanuts are a natural analgesic and antiinflammatory.
- Ice is beneficial for helping individuals who are suffering from wisdom tooth pain. Placing an ice pack on the jaw can help to relieve swelling and discomfort.
- Ginger is also used as a natural at-home treatment for wisdom tooth pain. Ginger and garlic can be combined and made into a paste for instant tooth relief.
What to Expect From Extraction?
When the wisdom teeth are unhealthy or impacted, they need to be removed right away to protect the surrounding teeth and stop the pain. Extractions are done with local anesthetics so individuals do not feel any pain. Most people heal well and only feel minor discomfort.
Those who are dealing with wisdom tooth pain can use the above tips to get relief until they can see their dentists. The dentist will offer the right treatment to help individuals overcome the pain of their wisdom teeth.
Wisdom tooth pain should never be ignored. Waiting too long to see the dentist could put a person’s oral health in danger and could lead to serious pain.