- 2 -3 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped). Turns out to be around 3 1/2 – 4 cups
- 3-4 cups broth (use less for more Chili texture)
- 1 lb ground lean pork, beef, chicken, or turkey (see notes for using precooked meat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz diced canned tomatoes (drained) – you can use garlic or onion flavor canned if you like
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 – 2 cup chopped cauliflower (add as much or little as you’d like)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, found on Spanish/Mexican foods aisle or, 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup hot chipotle salsa may be substituted
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 shallot (diced) or 1/4 cup red onion – optional
- herbs to garnish
- optional cheese topping
- First,chop and peel your potatoes. Place in a microwave safe bowl and steam with 1 tbsp water in them for 90 seconds.
- Next, add your ground meat to the crock pot with broth and oil. (*updated* other option is to brown meat beforehand so you do get as much grease in crock pot).
- Add your tomatoes, sweet potato, onion, cauliflower and mix all together.
- Finally, add your seasonings and chipotle peppers with sauce.
- Stir and cook on high for 3-4 hrs.
- Add your shallots the last hour if you adding them
- Add more paprika and or black pepper/sea salt when finished cooking if desired.
- Garnish with fresh herbs such as cilantro or basil works well too.
- If you are using cooked meat, adjust time to one hour or until veggies are cooked. Add your meat in the last 20 minutes to just reheat.The canned chipotles in adobo, chopped, are found on Spanish/Mexican foods aisle or you can use 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup hot chipotle salsaIf you use the canned, you can include some of the sauce with it to make it more spicy! And more colorful. But be careful, it will be VERY SPICY with the sauce.
Hi, I’m Lindsay Cotter. I’m a Nutrition Specialist for Gluten Free eating. Here to FUEL you with EASY gluten free recipes, nerdy nutrition tips, a lots of no bake healthy bite recipes! Learn more about me and Healthy Bites on my about page! Cottercrunch@hotmail.com for more info.