We are a sleep-deprived nation and both adults and children alike are not getting enough ZZZ’s.
Ask yourself this question. Is your child getting enough sleep? Too little sleep can affect your child’s learning, memory, concentration, attention span, emotions and even their behavior.
We often take for granted that our child’s sleep is natural and easy, but many children struggle with sleep issues.
There are many factors that play a role in why your child may not be sleeping.
- Deficient in minerals like magnesium, and omega- 3’s
- Not having a constant routine
- Room is too hot or not dark enough
- Too much noise in the house
- Food allergies or sensitivities, i.e, foods or airborne allergies
Sleep-deprived children are often aggressive or irritable. They tend to have a short attention span and are hard to wake up in the morning. Many children are labeled with mild ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) when in fact they are simply sleep deprived.
How much sleep is enough sleep?
- Newborns need 16-20 hours
- Preschool & school aged children need 10-11 hours
- Teenagers need 10 hours
Tips to improve your child’s sleep
- Set a bedtime and stick to it every night
- Remove electronic devices from their room; TV, cell phone, computer, iPad, video games, electric alarm clock ( opt for a battery operated clock), portable phone
- It has been shown that EMF’s ( electrical magnetic fields) from devices affect our sleep
- Make sure they have exercise earlier on in the day or early evening
- Avoid stimulants like coffee, chocolate, cocoa or soft drinks
- Establish a routine of quiet talking, reading books to them, even meditation tapes
If your child is still experiencing sleepiness during the day start to keep a sleep diary. It may help to reveal what is contributing to their sleep problems and it will be a helpful tool to bring to the doctor’s office.
- Keep track of the time your child goes to bed
- How long does it take them to fall asleep
- How many times did they wake during the night
- Did they nap during the day
- Did anything make them anxious or upset
- How many hours did they sleep at night
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!