Having high cholesterol can be a scary situation. Cholesterol is the wax-like substance present in cell walls, arteries, and other membranes in your body. A high build-up of cholesterol on your arteries can cause blockages which restrains blood flow to the artery, causing the possibility of a heart attack or stroke. Knowing this, it is very important that you try to lower your cholesterol to prevent these conditions from happening. Keep in mind that there are three different cholesterol levels, LDL or bad cholesterol, HDL or good cholesterol, and triglycerides and you need to get these levels checked periodically, especially if you have high cholesterol or a history of low cholesterol.
Other than using a treatment plan consisting of medication, there are also some dietary home remedies that you can try as well to help lower your cholesterol. Here are some great natural remedies for high cholesterol.
Almonds, Honey, and Beets
Almonds have shown to dramatically reduce your LDL cholesterol. By making almonds apart of your diet can decrease your cholesterol as much as 10 percent. Try snacking on some almonds periodically during the day and watch your levels start changing for the good.
Honey has also been proven to decrease your LDL cholesterol. Simply add one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of lime juice to a hot glass of water each morning and you’ll see what a difference it makes on your cholesterol in the long run. Beets are a great addition to your diet when trying to decrease your cholesterol levels.
Beets are filled with flavonoids and carotenoids which are two components that help decrease the build-up of cholesterol on your arteries. You can eat beets fresh or canned. However, studies have shown that eating fresh beets decrease your cholesterol at a faster rate as well as more effective.
Olive Oil, Oats, and Walnuts
Olive oil has also been proven to help your cholesterol. Studies have shown that olive oil is also a good source of dramatically increasing your levels of HDL and also lower levels of LDL which will prevent your blood from forming clots in your arteries.
Oats are also very effective in fighting off cholesterol problems. Why not try eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning for breakfast to lower your cholesterol. Make sure to eat oats in raw form, studies have also shown that eating oats in raw form has proven to be more effective in diminishing cholesterol from forming.
Along with almonds, walnuts are also a very good source and snack to help prevent the build-up of cholesterol. Eating walnuts at least 4-6 times a week can lower your cholesterol levels as much as 16 percent.
Garlic and Chicory
Here are two herbal treatments for lowering your cholesterol levels. Garlic has shown to reduce the amount of fat that is in your blood, along with lowering your LDL cholesterol and raising your HDL cholesterol. Using garlic in raw form as well as powdered form can both be useful, although consuming garlic in raw form has been proven to be more effective.
Using anywhere from one tablespoon to two tablespoons per day in your meals at least 4-5 times a week can dramatically decrease your LDL cholesterol by as much as 12 percent. Chicory has also shown to lower your levels of cholesterol. Chicory is an herb that is normally added to your tea while brewing.
Consuming between 1-2 cups of chicory tea a day will definitely do the trick and you will see your cholesterol levels start dropping each and every time your cholesterol levels are checked. Chicory can be found most commonly in the spice aisle in your local grocery store.
You can also purchase herbal tea brews that contain chicory and can also lower your cholesterol level, however using the actual spice has proven to work more effectively.
Below are a few more home remedies that you can use for the treatment of high cholesterol.
Useful Treatment Tips
- Boiling 10 cinnamon sticks in about 6 cups of water and then adding one tablespoon of honey can mix up to be a powerful mixture to fight bad cholesterol from forming. Make sure that when you consume the mixture that you consume the mixture hot.
- Soy products, artichokes, and yogurt have also been proven to lower levels of LDL cholesterol. By consuming any one of these items at least 2-3 times a week can help lower your levels intensely. Soy products are also very rich in isoflavones which can effectively regulate your cholesterol levels.
- Drinking 8-10 glasses of water can also bring down your cholesterol. In this home remedy, you are flushing your whole body and the more you have proper excretion from your body, the more you will see your cholesterol levels diminish.
- You can also try boiling 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds in a glass of water and create an infusion to lower your cholesterol as well as regulate your levels. You will, however, find better results by consuming at least 2-3 glasses of the mixture a day to see your cholesterol levels start to drop.
- Consuming vitamin B6 and vitamin E can also help to regulate your cholesterol levels and lower cholesterol levels also. Vitamin B6 can be found in such food items as yeast and wheat. Vitamin E can be found in such food items as sunflower seeds, grains, soybean oil, and sprouted seeds.
- The intake of onion juice can also become an effective treatment for high cholesterol. The onion not only lowers your cholesterol but also helps clean your blood and regulates your heart.
- Consuming food items such as wholegrain cereals, egg yolks, soybeans, and vegetable oil that contain lecithin are a big cholesterol fighter.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!