Few exercises are offered for breast cancer and lymphedema health improvement. Yoga exquisitely blends techniques which promote muscle tone, flexibility, proper breathing, mental clarity, stress relief and peace.
If your chest is not tender Wheel of Life is a great full body pose. Arms and head can move in all directions. Great for moving lymph fluid throughout the entire body. Use your bed for the ultimate comfort.
Benefits Creates an openness for hips Increased circulation to chest and lymph area Lengthens side body Increases vitality Post surgical benefits of reducing fibrous adhesions and scar tissue Improves shoulder flexibility Stretches the tensor fascia latea muscle, waist and spine Expands back ribs for deeper breathing Increases ROM of cervical spine (neck) if head turns to opposite side Mild twist within inner core
- Begin in Partial Recline (knees bend and back to ground) then turn both knees to right creating a twist. Shoulders remaining to ground, arms in T position, and then extend right lower leg.
- INHALE, bring right arm up and over to ground in front of chest, press down on hand, push up and draw left arm behind and bring chest to ground (lower torso carefully), arms in T position.
- Stay as long as comfortable – 10 breaths.
- Head can stay to the right or turn to left but only if comfortable.
- Extend upper right arm 90 degrees overhead (arms are in a 9:00 position).
- INHALE, press up when done, roll back over.
- EXHALE Knees to Chest.
- Repeat on other side.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
Try Our NEW Yoga Book
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.