Matcha literally means “powdered tea.” When you order traditional green tea, components from the leaves get infused into the hot water, then the leaves are discarded. With matcha, you’re drinking the actual leaves, which have been finely powdered and made into a solution, traditionally by mixing about a teaspoon of matcha powder with a third cup of hot water (heated to less than a boil), which is then whisked with a bamboo brush until it froths.
Unlike traditional green tea, matcha preparation involves covering the tea plants with shade cloths before they’re harvested. This triggers the growth of leaves with better flavor and texture, which are hand selected, steamed briefly to stop fermentation, then dried and aged in cold storage, which deepens the flavor. The dried leaves are then stone-ground into a fine powder.
Amongst its many health benefits, matcha…
- Is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll, and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- Prevents disease
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
Here’s a great recipe that you’ll enjoy & guaranteed you’ll won’t be able to get enough of it.
Blend a chilled matcha green tea latte using a classic martini shaker.
What will I need?
- 2 tsp of Matcha Power
- Fresh filtered water
- Milk (cow, almond, soy or rice – we recommend almond)
- Kitchen accessory for frothing milk
- Ice Cubes
- Add flavors with chai spice, cinnamon, vanilla or coconut
Fill martini shaker with 1 cup ice
Sift 2 tsp of Matcha into a martini shaker
Add half cup fresh filtered water
Shake well, and pour into a tall glass with fresh ice
Finish with 3 oz frothed chilled milk – cow, almond, soy or rice
FOR EXTRA PIZZAZZ
Add flavors with chai spice, cinnamon, vanilla or coconut
Love this recipe?
Don’t forget to share it with a friend.