Ayurveda considers sex as a part and parcel of our everyone’s life. But as with most of the rules of life, – control and moderation are the keywords.
Ayurveda Healthy Sex Rules Stated from Anient Times:
1. With a woman who is not lying with her face upward: This concept is for the people seeking conception. In olden days, there was no real contraceptives and sex was predominantly seen as the way to beget children. So, the older Ayurveda teachers used to think that with women-on-top positions, the entry of semen into the vagina would not occur properly.
2. During her menstrual period: It is contraindicated from a health perspective. Read my detailed article about it – sex during periods
3. With a person who is not liked (wicked), whose activities are displeasingThis refers to the mental aspect of sex. If the women do not possess good mental qualities, then she may take advantage of the man.
4. With a person whose private parts are dirty
5. With people who too obese or very emaciated.
6. During pregnancy and childbirth. After delivery if it is normal delivery, a gap of 2 – 3 months is considered desirable. If it is C-section, a gap of 5 – 6 months is desirable.
7. With any woman, other than one’s wife. Ayurveda strictly recommends fidelity and being faithful. It concentrates more on love factor than lust factor.
8. With animals like the goat, buffalo etc- Ayurveda is against bestiality.
9. In the abode of the teacher, gods and kings in monasteries, burial ground, places of torture and of sacrifice and meeting of four roads.
10. On days of special significance Special days like a new moon, full moon, eclipse, festivals, mourning days and others. This technique not only gives a break to both the partners from sex but also brings freshness. Occasional restraint is key for a healthy and refreshing sex experience.
11. With organs which are non-sexual (oral etc.)
12. When it is violent: Avoid violence during sex. Ayurveda advocates sex as the means to express mutual love and respect and NOT anger, enmity and hate.
13. After a heavy meal: Sex is also a form of exercise. This advice is akin to the rule that one should not do exercise immediately after meals. In Ayurvedic terms, it will cause indigestion problems and Vata imbalance.
14. When hungry and thirsty: Sex is, like told before, an exercise and it will cause Vata increase. When you are hungry, there is alreadyVata and Pitta increase in the body. If you have sex when hungry, it may cause Vata and Pitta related issues like dizziness, headache, bloating, gastritis etc.
15. In uncomfortable postures. – May cause injury
16. With children and old women
17. When there is urge to urinate or defecate.
18. During illness.As per Ayurveda, Sex and immunity power are inter-related. That is why abstinence is highly recommended during youth. Read my article on Abstinence – Brahmacharya. The immunity power is explained with the term Ojas, in Ayurveda. During illness, Ojas is depleted. At that time, if you indulge in sex, it would further deplete the ojas. This will delay the healing process. Read more about Ojas
19. Sex frequency in different seasons –
– During winter, a person can have sex everyday. This is because the body strength is maximum during winters. – Once in three days in Vasanta (spring) and Sharat (autumn). Moderate body strength during these seasons, hence moderate sex frequency. – Once in 15 days in Varsha (rainy) and Nidagha (summer) – low body strength and hence very low sex frequency.
20. Improper sex side effects –
Giddiness, exhaustion, weakness of the thighs, loss of strength, depletion of tissues, loss of acuity of senses and premature death occur from improper indulgence in the woman.
21. Benefits of following healthy sex rules:
Good memory, intelligence, long life, health, nourishment, acuity of sense organs, reputation, strength and slow aging accrue from disciplined (controlled) sexual life.
22. Things to do after sexual intercourse:
Post-intercourse one should indulge himself in bath, applying scented paste, exposure to cool breeze, drinking of syrup prepared from sugar candy, cold water, milk, meat juice, soup, Sura – fermented liquor prepared from grains, Prasanna – clear supernatant fluid of Sura and then go to sleep; by these, the vigour of the body returns quickly to its abode again. Check out Dr. Janardhana Hebbar’s New ebook – “Complete sex guide” – A comprehensive sex guide for men and women to have a satisfying sex life. To know more about Janardhana Hebbar – visit www.easyayurveda.com
Dr Janardhana Hebbar Senior Ayurvedic Consultant of CureJoy has authored 4 books on Ayurveda. Special interest Kayachikitsa (Internal Medicine) and Shalya chikitsa (Surgery). More articles from author